Monday, April 23, 2007

Reflecting...

It was a fun trip.

My 14 days in China made me reflect on certain issues such as the need to care for those around you and to cherish them.

I was telling some of my friends that I lose sight of why I wanted to be part of this Serve Trip in the midst of our preparation.

We interacted with the children at BoAi on the 2nd day of our trip. I was hesitant and I didn't want to interact with the kids because I did not expect them to be in the condition that they are in, and somehow, I just can't bridge the "imaginary barrier" that I have with them.It took me quite a while to warm up to the kids as compared to the rest in this trip. Everyone began to talk about the kids at BoAi, and I realised that "hey, why am I not as excited as the rest" or "why is it that they are able to interact with the kids so quickly?"

The break came on the 3rd and 4th day. I met this group of kids who went for their morning walk with the teachers in BoAi. I began to think about the training that they went through, began to think about their perseverance and the love that these teachers have for them. I took the first step by approaching one of the kids who, well, can't talk due to his medical condition.Slowly, I began to interact with other kids and enjoyed their company. It can be really tiring at times.And finally, we had to say goodbye...I was thinking about what was done, i.e. dance, wayang etc.

My personal thought is this. We have done our best, I do not know if they understand us, I am not sure if the teachers at BoAi felt that we have helped them in anyway, but I'm very sure that we have brought laughter and joy to the children over there, which I feel, is the best present that we could ever give.


Alvin

No comments: