Thursday, May 3, 2007

A life's lesson well learnt

This Serve China Trip is really a very good learning experience. Two weeks of learning journey seems long to anyone else but not to us. In fact all of us would still want to go back to Boai School to play with those adorable children. I still remember the first day we reached Suzhou. All of us were so excited. When we reached Boai School, it was so dark and quiet. I thought I would be able to see the children but all of them were in their bedroom.

The second day, we finally met the children. They are so adorable but pitiful. Many of them are with their walking aid and ‘helmet’. Two kids even rolled towards me. My heart sunk when I saw them. I think that was the first time I felt that Serve China Trip is not as easy as I thought. It is not because the trip was tiring and tough. But, knowing the fact that we have to see the children there go through so much pain hurts me.

After the first interaction with the children I feel that they are a bunch of smart kids. Throughout the few days I spent with the children, I feel that they are very strong, even stronger than us and I think everyone agree with me. Their determination and perseverance to walk and stand up by themselves whenever they fall makes me respect them. Their therapies are definitely very tough. To see those very young children who are below 5 go through the tough therapy, hurts me. Tears roll down from their eyes when they are in pain. Awww… Even a stranger like me felt so heartbroken. Imagine their parents? I got to talk to a mother of a pair of twins who are both with cerebral palsy. She brings her sons to Boai School every morning for therapy session. Both of her sons are only 2 years old and they have to go through those tough therapies. She told me that she is fortunate because Boai School sponsors their fees or else she would not know how is she going to fork out money to pay for the therapy. I can imagine how she feels seeing her children cry when they are in pain. I really learn to appreciate my parents after this trip.

There are many children in Boai School who only get to go home during weekends. I am really fortunate to stay with my parents. I got to know this boy name Jun Jie. He’s 5 this year. A very adorable and smart boy. He is so perfect to me other than the fact that he could not walk. Like most of the other children, he gets to go home only during weekends. After spending time with him for a few days, I felt that our bond was really strong. I like to hug and kiss him and so does he. I actually hoped that his parents will not bring him home. I am SO SELFISH!! Knowing I am going to leave Boai School, Jun Jie actually cried for two days. I was so touched. He even asked me if I could stay longer. Especially the day I had to leave. I went to his room.and he was taking his afternoon nap. I told him I am going off and he said don’t want and cried. I burst into tears when he cried. I could not bear to leave him. Leaving Suzhou to Shanghai, all of us were so reluctant to. We had became so attached to the children there. I miss my Jun Jie and Xiao Cai.
The trip to the orphanage was also a great one. Seeing those innocent children smile when they are playing happily makes everything worth it. I start to realize that they are many people around us who are very unfortunate.

At Shanghai, we visited Hua Mu old folks home. I think throughout the whole trip, this is the only time we perspired because of the rebuilding of the garden. I felt very satisfied because the garden was done up so nicely. I was quite surprised that we didn’t took a long time to finish the task. This is why teamwork is so important. Good job guys! I also had the chance to take the Magnev train. The $600 we spent was really worth it.

I really get to know many wonderful people from this trip. The 21 of us certainly became much more bonded. Mrs Koh and Mr Lim also took very good care of us. They were strict but all of us know that they were concerned about our safety. I hope that in the future we will have more opportunity to work together again. Lastly, we visited a few places in Suzhou and Shanghai. Every place we visited, I learnt something new. I really learnt a lot from the children and from this trip. It makes me appreciate the people around me and make me realize how fortunate I am compared to others.

No comments: