Sunday, April 29, 2007

My Love Affair in China

As juicy as the title goes, I am innocent..haha..

I believe everyone in the Serve China team has fallen in LOVE with the kids at Boai, even those at the orphanage. I myself, could not bear to leave them when the time was up. I poured my heart out like I never cried for a little one before.. I guessed their smiles, enthusiasm, determination and personalities have carved a place in our hearts. We were once strangers, yet our love and care grew like a flower blooming in the spring. Once we headed off to Shanghai, all I could think was.. how are the kids doing? will they miss us or will they just erase that wonderful memories we shared with them so they can move on easily? To this day, I am still thinking about them as I browse through the pictures. Are they well? Have they improved on their therapies? I miss them so.. I miss their laughters, that unforgettable smiles, the love and hugs they have given us.. How I wish I can go back time, teleporting all of us back to Suzhou... to experience it all over again.

I have only one word to describe the life I experienced in China. SIMPLICITY. It is such a far cry from what I have been living in Spore, the superficial part of me. I learn how simple the lifestyle is in China. They don't need all the branded gadgets, clothes, accessories to be happy... all they need is the neccesities.. It taught me that whatever wealth we have, money really can buy pure happiness. Yes, we need the money to survive in this world but money does not make this world goes round. Come to think of, we didnt pour money to the less fortunate ones in China, did we? We put in the effort to share our time, the company during therapies,eating time and even lessons, playing with them, entertaining them with our singings (LOL) and dance.. Over at Hua Mu home, we pull our sleeves up and did all the gardening and painting the benches from little experience. I think we should give ourselves a pat on the shoulder for all that.

Through this trip, I also learn more about myself. It is such a soul cleansing for me. I began to reflect on my actions and words, my life and what I can do to improve myself and for others too. I learn how to share, care for others even for my Serve China mates. I am blessed I did not fall sick during the entire trip. At times, I feel sorry for those who were sick and in such discomfort .And some had to even miss some activities. All I could do was to ask abt their condition out of concern or offer any medications I brought that could help.

Another great thing that results from this trip is the friendship with my Serve China team. We had bonded so much throughout the trip. Laughing, sharing our trademark phrases, making lame jokes and always looking out for each other. For the few days back in Spore, I feel so alone and weird not being able to eat or talk in a big group. No more Mrs Koh or Mr Lim looking after us..telling us like "people.. pls wear your jackets" or "eat more please, eat more veggies and fruits". I am back to my comfort zone, my home... It's such irony that the feeling of awkardness occurred to me. I admit I miss you guys man... haha.. i miss China too.. even though I have food limitations and language barrier, I survived and enjoyed every moment of it.

Well, I just like to thank Mrs Koh, Mr Lim, Prof Liang and her staff, and others who made this trip so memorable and full of joy. Remember people, Mrs Koh and Mr Lim chose the 21 of us for a good reason. We need to continue the spirit in us in doing more good deeds and share our blessings with others.

I really did not expect to learn so much in this trip but I did.. so much so that I feel like an entire new me.. I am no longer e shallow person I was before... My perspectives have widen... all the experience and learnings are somethings that I could never learn straight out of a book. I am truly blessed for that...

"All good things always have to come to an end"... well, our trip has came to an end but let's make our friendship and enthusiasm for community service a continuing one..

ROCK ON PEOPLE!!! XOXOXO

No comments: